Castle Howard is a stately home in North Yorkshire. It is the home of the Howard family for more than 300 years. Castle Howard was built between 1699 and 1712 for the 3rd Earl of Carlisle. It was designed by Sir John Vanbrugh. The estate was served by its own railway station, Castle Howard, from 1845 to the 1950s. A large part of the house was destroyed by a fire in 1940. Some of the devastated rooms have been restored over the following decades. In 1960-61 the dome was rebuilt. The East Wing remains a shell, although it has been restored externally.
There are two major garden buildings: The Temple of the Four Winds at the end of the garden and the Mausoleum in the park.
Castle Howard was used as ‘Brideshead’ in both the television adaptation and the film adaptation of Brideshead Revisited.